Refund Policy

Something you do or don't like? Let us know. This is also the place for questions regarding this forum.

Refund Policy

Postby Starman » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi guys and girls, I hope someone can give me a clear answer.

OK first of all let me just say that I love having a Maplins store in my town, they tend to have everything that is required and the prices are really good. I have purchased many items over the years, some are not all that good and are cheaply made, whilst others are well made and have been a godsend for when I really need a certain part on the day.

It has come to my attention over the last 6 months that every time I ask a certain member of staff about a product, he advises me to shop elsewhere and basically runs down the product complaining of its quality. I always ask him that if I buy this product / Products that if it is really rubbish then can I bring it back and have a refund. The answer is always NO and I will not get a credit note for another product either! They would simply send the product back to the manufacturer and I would have to wait and see what the outcome is whilst being out of pocket?

In a way I am happy he is advising me that the product is rubbish but when I then ask about a related product that is higher is price and apparently better quality, he will still insist that the refund / exchange part of things will remain the same just in case it does not work.

In fact whatever I look at buying he will say the (his) rules apply.

Problem items have either been given away or thrown in the bin because this guy reckons I cannot take them back. I have checked receipts and it clearly states the refund policy as long as it's in good condition with packaging and that it can be sold again.

The message it seems that this guy is giving is if you come to Maplins then it's a case of buy at your own risk!

I have been offered refunds in the past and 90% of the time I prefer to echange it for something else within the store, but this guy won't even let me do that?

I have no malice towards this man and wish him only the best, but unless somebody intervenes then he will continue this mission to drive away customers. I now visit the Maplins store in the next town 20 miles away rather than go through the motions again.
Starman
Peon

Re: Refund Policy

Postby DanParker » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:37 pm

Hi Starman,

I recommend in future that if you have to visit your most local store that you have a quiet word with the Store Manager. No member of staff can override what is a national company policy.

If you feel that you cannot or don't wish to talk to the store manager then I would suggest emailing customercare@maplin.co.uk with more specifics i.e. Store, staff member in question and if possible examples of what has been said with regards to a specific product.

Hope that helps.
DanParker
Underling

Postby Starman » Tue May 03, 2011 7:24 pm

Hi Dan,

The store is [removed] and this guy reckons he is the manager.
Starman
Peon

Postby archernar » Wed May 04, 2011 9:23 am

Hi Starman,

this isn't right, as Dan says our refund policy is company wide - it's here for reference http://www.maplin.co.uk/help-centre?helppageid=34

Thanks for taking the trouble to post about this - all feedback is welcome, whilst we strive to get things right sometimes things go wrong and we want to fix them. We altered the returns policy not too long ago (to 28 days), and it looks like we need to communicate the policy more strongly internally.

I hope you don't mind me editing the store name out of your post; I don't want to single out a specific store (and by extension individual) in a public forum. We're still learning the ropes a little as regards the forum, so we're erring a little on the side of caution at the moment.

Thanks
Mark
Last edited by archernar on Wed May 04, 2011 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Bad grammar (although some probably remains)
dec (hl)
archernar
Peon

The following user would like to thank archernar for this post
Caterpie613

Postby metatron » Mon May 09, 2011 9:41 pm

"Therefore if for any reason you find that your recent purchase is not quite what you wanted. Then within 28 days of purchase, Maplin will replace, offer a credit note or refund your unsuitable purchase to equal value. This is provided the goods remain in their original condition, unopened and unused and accompany all packaging an accessories they came with.

We do ask that you provide us with your proof of purchase, ideally your original receipt or delivery note.

Please refer to our current conditions of sale. We also advise that we may request the product is forwarded for further evaluation to our Returns Centre.

This does not affect your statutory rights"

this is taken directly from our website so basicly you have 28 days to return any unwanted item as long as it is in original resellable condition
or what, your going to hit me with that fish
metatron
Apprentice

Postby gdavies » Mon May 09, 2011 10:59 pm

it states unopened unused as of close of business today
gdavies

Postby Ian » Tue May 10, 2011 12:15 am

When I was at Comet I did first line diagnostics as well as running a warehouse and for nine months stock and service too. They sent me on a course for a week to learn the law. If you have kept the goods over a reasonable time, then you are deemed to accept them and cannot bring them back. A reasonable time was never specified, but custom and practice evolved it into 28 days. If the goods are unused and unopened then you may take them back within that time.
If goods are not fit for the purpose for which they are sold, then they can be taken back at any time and a refund issued. This includes warranty time.
If goods are not sold as presented (ie we say it includes an in car charger and it does not) then these must be re-accepted too whether opened or not.
The relevant acts are the sales of goods act 1996 and subsequent additions/ammendments.
How many electronic engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?... What kind is it? What's the voltage? We'll look at it on Tuesday.
Ian
Apprentice

Postby DanParker » Tue May 10, 2011 10:41 pm

Also if buying over the net the Distance Selling Regulations state that the packaging can be opened to inspect the goods as inspection at point of sale is not possible.
DanParker
Underling

Postby seasideboy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:22 am

Hi,
As ex retail at managers level, yes i am off the tablets now , you will sometimes get this .
H.O. would like us to think it is a isolated incident (s) but some retailers at customer contact point will alter not only the customer guidelines but the law of the land to suit their vision !
seasideboy
Peon

Return to Suggestions and Feedback