K-Guard CCTV Firmware Updates and Mobile Viewing on Android!

K-Guard CCTV Firmware Updates and Mobile Viewing on Android!

Postby Dan » Tue May 24, 2011 12:07 pm

Hi guys,

It's now possible to use the K-Guard systems on an Android device!

Remember, to do this, you'll first need to set up Port Forwarding on your router - The K-Guard DVRs all use ports 80, 9000 and 18004 - Please see this link for further details.

This does involve a Firmware update to the DVR and an app to be installed onto the item, however if you follow the steps below, this is quite a simple process.

Firstly, download the latest firmware for your device - Please note that these ARE device specific and that loading the incorrect firmware could render your device unusable.

For the 4 channel version (N29HU, N67HU or N81JB) the firmware can be downloaded from the link below:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/Zip/KGuard4ChAndroidUpdate.zip

For the 8 channel version (N28HU) the firmware can be downloaded from the link below:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/Zip/KGuard8ChAndroidUpdate.zip

For the 16 channel version (N96HY) the firmware can be downloaded from the link below:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/Zip/KGuard16ChAndroidUpdate.zip

When this has been downloaded, copy the "dvrupdate" folder to a USB stick and insert this into the USB socket on the rear of DVR.

From the main menu, select "System", followed by "Maintain" and then "System Update".

THE FIRMWARE UPDATE WILL NOW BE INSTALLED - DO NOT TURN OFF THE DVR WHILE THIS IS BEING INSTALLED.

After the update has installed, please download the App bundle from the link below:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/Zip/KGuardMobileViewingApps.zip

This contains apps for Symbian, Android, BlackBerry and Windows Mobile devices, for iPhone and iOS users, "aPlayer" is used, this can be downloaded from the App Store.

ASee is included for Android, this will allow viewing of the device via the standard setup instructions.

Further information regarding the setup and use of this can be found on the link below:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/pdfs/KGuard_Firmware%20Update&mobileViewing%20Instructions.pdf

I hope this helps, if you have any queries or issues, please don't hesitate to post here!

Cheers!

Dan
Dan
Maplin Employee

Re: K-Guard CCTV Firmware Updates and Mobile Viewing - Andro

Postby Charles » Tue May 24, 2011 1:57 pm

just to confirm the update does definitely work :) just set one up with a customer

the interface is a bit slow but does work :)
Charles
Technical

The following user would like to thank Charles for this post
Dan

Re: K-Guard CCTV Firmware Updates and Mobile Viewing on Andr

Postby K31th » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:37 pm

I brought the KGuard SHA108.V2 on Friday and have been attempting to link it with my Netgear CG3101D router ( on VirginMedia ), not successfully I might add.

I think I have ascertained that I need a Static IP but mine is a Dynamic IP.

I then chanced upon this topic and was wondering if I did the Firmware upgrade whether things would be any easier trying to connect DVR to my router ?

As I have the KGuard SHA108.V2 which is an 8 channel DVR do I use the link for the N28HU as I can't see one for the SHA108.V2 ?

I don't want to proceed until I know I am downloading and installing the correct update as it says on your initial post " Please note that these ARE device specific and that loading the incorrect firmware could render your device unusable. "

Any help you can give me would be appreciated !!
K31th
Peon

Postby Dan » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:48 am

The firmware update won't help.

Your router will be fine, but you need to set up Port Forwarding.
Dan
Maplin Employee

Postby robbie1970 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:15 am

go to kguard.org and sign up - enter the user details into the kguard ddns settings and providing your ports are forwarded. this will work for you fine.

Remember when entering your IP information into the DVR if you are not using DHCP that if you have single or double digit numbers they will need to be entered with 0's to make up the digits to blocks of 3 ( if that makes sense) so if your IP is 192.168.0.1 then you would need to enter 192.168.000.001

The static IP setting on the dvr only applies to your own internal network - that being the link between your devive - be it an ipad , laptop , pc, etc.etc... each device has to have a seperate seperat IP and this should just mean a change to the last 3 digits ... ie ..laptop 192.168.000.003 - ipad 192.168.000.004 pc 192.168.000.005 ( these are just examples of how it works)

The gateway address is the internal ip address of your router usualy on .001 or .254 ( dependinging on your router) so to fit with the ranges above as an example the gateway would be 192.168.000.254 (it's the ip address that you use to access your routers settings) the router will also act as the DNS server so for the primary DNS you would enter the same address as the gateway.

I hope that the above is helpful... before trying to access your DVR over the web via pc or mobile device make sure that you can access it within your own network first. Open up your web browser and in the address bar type the ip of the dvr where you would usually type in www.google.co.uk etc ..... this then should bring up the kguard login screen, if it does... your doing well and your nearly there... good luck
robbie1970
Peon

The following user would like to thank robbie1970 for this post
ducane2012

Postby ducane2012 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:07 pm

Ronnie, Ive done exactly what you've said and what you've written above sounds logical.
I simply want a local connection/ access to the DVR through a dedicated router which Ive attached to it via Ethernet cable (no ISP service involved). However after doing the above config I cant get Kguards NVR300 software to connect the DVR -or- access via the IE browser using the Static IP set on the DVR ......I would pull out my hair but Im bald already lol.

Seriously can anyone help/ advise. Im happy to exchange tel to make this easier

Ducane
ducane2012
Peon

Postby tonylavelle » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:36 pm

I am trying to follow Dan's instructions but when I try to upgrade the firmware on the DVR it gives me the error message "Update: No upgrade file found"

I have downloaded the correct zip file for my SHA108 v2. It contains a folder called "dvrupgrade" (not "dvrupdate"). Dan's instructions say copy the folder to a USB stick.

1. Should the folder be renamed "dvrupdate" or is this a typo?
2. Did Dan mean copy the contents of the folder ( a file with a very long name) to the USB stick?
3. Does it matter if there are other files on hte USB stick?

The kit seems good but I find it unacceptable that the manual that comes with it makes no attempt to explain essential functions. This info should be in the box or on the KGuard website.

Help!

Tony
tonylavelle
Peon

Postby Dan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:47 pm

The updates are only for the V1s, the V2s do not require this.
Dan
Maplin Employee

Postby tonylavelle » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:17 pm

Well thanks Dan but what do I do now?

I can access my DVR over the internet using IE so I must have set it up correctly. Ports 80, 9000 and 18004 (TCP but not UDP) are forwarded. When I run KView on my Android phone it just says "connection fail!" - not very helpful.

Also, though I can see live pictures remotely on my laptop, when I choose Play and pick any video file, even a small one (1.4MB) I get the error message "HDvrOcx: Insufficient Disk Space". Does this mean disk space on the DVR or on my computer? How much space is required to play a 1.4MB video file?

Now I'm completely stuck. Can you suggest a solution please?
tonylavelle
Peon

Postby pendulum » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:57 pm

tonylavelle wrote:Well thanks Dan but what do I do now?

I can access my DVR over the internet using IE so I must have set it up correctly. Ports 80, 9000 and 18004 (TCP but not UDP) are forwarded. When I run KView on my Android phone it just says "connection fail!" - not very helpful.

Also, though I can see live pictures remotely on my laptop, when I choose Play and pick any video file, even a small one (1.4MB) I get the error message "HDvrOcx: Insufficient Disk Space". Does this mean disk space on the DVR or on my computer? How much space is required to play a 1.4MB video file?

Now I'm completely stuck. Can you suggest a solution please?

With regards to the Insufficient Disk space you need to run internet explorer in administrator and this should solve that issue.

With regards to the application are you using the internal ip address or your extenal ip adress. ?
CAPS LOCK – Preventing Login Since 1980.

Core i7-2600k @ 3.8ghz
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16GB @ 1600mhz
ASUS ROG Maximus IV Extreme-Z
GeForce GTX 260 FreezerX2
OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 2TB
pendulum
Technical

Postby tonylavelle » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:38 pm

Hi Dan

I am using the external IP address. This works for viewing live with IE on my remote PC but the same address doesn't work from my Android phone (remotely) using either KView or ASee. Is there a diagnostic tool to figure out what is the cause: wrong IP address, port not open, wrong user name, wrong password, etc? I'm assuming that the user/password is the same for mobile and PC.

Also, I am an Administrator on my PC so that is not the cause of "insufficient disk space." There is 350MB free space on my local drive but I can't even open a 1.4MB video capture file. My guess is that the ActiveX control is trying to allocate a large space regardless of the size of the video file being downloaded, but perhaps you can confirm this.

Is there a more up to date manual than the one in the box, covering mobile access and updating firmware?

Thanks

Tony
tonylavelle
Peon

Postby pendulum » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:49 am

Your best option would be to contact us and we will have a look at the settings you have and try resolve the issue. I have sent you an email with our derails.
CAPS LOCK – Preventing Login Since 1980.

Core i7-2600k @ 3.8ghz
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16GB @ 1600mhz
ASUS ROG Maximus IV Extreme-Z
GeForce GTX 260 FreezerX2
OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 2TB
pendulum
Technical

Postby chris2013 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:48 pm

The Play Back using internet explorer only works with windows XP I have tride it with windows 7 and vista and is simple does not work with these systems. Ps I cant get it to work on my phone either
chris2013
Peon

Postby Dan » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:44 pm

It works fine with Vista and 7.

The mobile viewing also works without any issues when correctly setup.
Dan
Maplin Employee

Postby chris2013 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:32 pm

Sorry Dan My Bad if you run IE in administrator it works fine on windows 7 just got to get it working on my samsung galaxy ace I have forward port 18004 I have put in the external IP address of my router into the app on the phone (86.) is this right or should it be the local 192.168. one ?
chris2013
Peon

Postby chris2013 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:48 pm

Yes Got it working on my phone now I had all the setting correct just had to reset my router :D :D Thanks Dan
chris2013
Peon

Postby Dan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:31 pm

No problem :)
Dan
Maplin Employee

Postby Stephen1999 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:47 pm

Hi Dan, I have installed a SHA108 V2 with 4 cameras package from Maplin and have the Andriod app working fine on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S2) to view all 4 cameras. I since added 4 more cameras. All 8 cameras can be viewed using IE9 over the internet fine but Android app only shows the first 4 cameras, I have tried connecting the original cameras to different channels but only channels 1-4 ever show up. I added a new configuration to my wifes phone (also a Samsung Galaxy S2)) and only selected the camera channels 5-8, still they failed to connect 'Fail connection: [devicename] CH 5', setup channels 1-4 on my wifes phone and they work fine? I have looked through all config settings on the DVR and can't see anything that would stop 5- 8 working. All channels record and view fine at the console or on IE9. I have tried both KView & KviewHD. Thanks Stephen
Stephen1999
Peon

Postby sjw623 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi. Reference Stephen1999's reply above regarding the app he is using, I am having the same problem trying to view the additional 2 cameras I have purchased in my iPad app. Could anybody advise where I am going wrong here? I am using the KviewHD app (ver 2.3.1.1), and it won't allow me to add more than 4 cameras, although when I view the screens it shows me up to 16 of them (12 blank, 4 the ones I originally had). Is it possible to see the additional cameras? Thanks.
sjw623
Peon

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:35 pm

Each DVR can only transmit 4 cameras at any one time via the mobile port.
Dan
Maplin Employee

Return to CCTV and Security