Attached image files have disappeared

Something you do or don't like? Let us know. This is also the place for questions regarding this forum.

Attached image files have disappeared

Postby NigelJ » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:14 pm

Why have the attached image files disappeared from the site? Is this a problem with my computer or have the image files been removed?
To see a world in a grain of sand, And a heaven in a wild flower, Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, And Eternity in an hour. (First verse of the Auguries of Innocence by William Blake.)
NigelJ
Graduate

Re: Attached image files have disappeared

Postby Dan » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:33 am

I'll look into this for you.
Dan
Maplin Employee

Postby Dan » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:39 am

They seem to be working fine for me.
Dan
Maplin Employee

Postby NigelJ » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:22 pm

No the files no longer display as images in the text, but as files to be downloaded. What has changed?
To see a world in a grain of sand, And a heaven in a wild flower, Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, And Eternity in an hour. (First verse of the Auguries of Innocence by William Blake.)
NigelJ
Graduate

Postby metatron » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:46 pm

i'm still getting image files aswell
or what, your going to hit me with that fish
metatron
Apprentice

Postby NigelJ » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

I can see some of the older images but not the new. Please tell me if you can see the one I posted to the components forum, under the "Re: Arduino Motor Control Project Help" thread.

I have posted a copy of the picture here as a test.
I do not see the image, just a place holder for the file. This is true of two of our computers, one running Vista, one running XP.

OSD prototype small.jpg
(24.06 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

I can see that an attachment has been loaded to the site, but the image is not displayed within the text.
Has there been a windows update that could have changed my settings?
The Maplin upload options seem to have been changed. The option to upload and image has disappeared, replaced with the option to "Place inline".
NigelJ
Graduate

Postby Ian » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:19 am

It does the same on my computer Nigel. If you click the link, it brings up the image fine but it doesn't display it in the forum.

My computer did do some updates recently, but I've got no idea what it updated.
How many electronic engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?... What kind is it? What's the voltage? We'll look at it on Tuesday.
Ian
Apprentice

Postby Ian » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:20 am

If it helps, it brings it up in the browser:

download/file.php?id=137
How many electronic engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?... What kind is it? What's the voltage? We'll look at it on Tuesday.
Ian
Apprentice

Postby Dan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:11 am

I'm getting this looked into with our Internet Team as this is not something we've changed.

Dan
Dan
Maplin Employee

Postby Chip » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:50 am

If the main image is larger than 300px x 300px the attachment will display as a text link, anything smaller and it will display a thumbnail.

:)

Chip
Site Admin

The following user would like to thank Chip for this post
Ian

Postby Dave » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:44 pm

After further discussions directly with NigelJ about this today i'm unlocking this topic because as i dont think it is resolved like we previously thought. There still seems to be something slightly a miss worth investigating.

Some things to note:

Nothing has been changed settings wise at our end regarding images since we fixed the multi server issue previously but there does seem to be inconsistent displaying of images.

There is a limit on the display of images as maplin_admin has stated which would explain why many are not displayed but some larger files are being displayed currenly which is crazy

:-?

So what else could cause it? get your thinkning caps on...I'm going to continue to look into it also
Dave
Internet Team

Postby Chip » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:20 pm

These are the settings for attachments, they have been like this from day one O.o

Chip
Site Admin

Postby NigelJ » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:41 pm

I believe that there was a display image size limit defined somewhere in the FAQs. This limit was of the order of a 50KB file size.

I also think there was an option to load images separate to file attachments. I can no longer find this menu option. However, Just to check that it is not an figment of my imagination. I did explain this in option in a reply to a posting on this subject.

I have observed that images are switching between being displayed and being shown as file download links each time on log on. This is similar to the behaviour when different servers were storing the pictures. Not knowing how the Maplin servers are now arranged, I am speculating that maybe the different servers are applying different size rules to attached images. Such speculation is meaningless if Maplin now run just one large server.
NigelJ
Graduate

Postby NigelJ » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:47 pm

The 300*300pix is I believe, the size of the text box that appears to tell the user that a picture file maybe downloaded. I think the 2000*2000pix is closer to the size of the picture than can be displayed in the text.

(The problem seems to be in the relationship between the image down load size and the pixel size of the final picture. This is not a simple relationship, as it depends on the compression used. It does not make sense to filter attached images based on pixel area, it is more logical to limit the image file size in bytes.)

I am going to search for the attachment advice posting I made some time ago.
NigelJ
Graduate

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:09 pm

url.png
Does this work?
url.png (29.89 KiB) Viewed 6006 times

This is just a test of uploading a 300x300 image, direct to the forum.
Dan
Maplin Employee

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:09 pm

Interesting, it did.

Now to test a larger image...
Dan
Maplin Employee

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:12 pm

1_u2mi2_red_600x600.jpg
Another test.
(112.6 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

I don't even know what this is, but it looks funky and is 600 x 600.
Dan
Maplin Employee

Postby NigelJ » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:00 pm

Attached is a picture I have posted else where on the site that is visible within the text. Re-posted here, the image is replaced by a download tag.

Now tell me nothing has changed. Admin may not have changed the settings, but something is clearly different.

I suspect that the change happened during the last few days, as I am sure the last image I posted to "Components, Arduino Motor Control Project Help" was visible when I posted it. However, I can prove something has changed since the 13/3/2012, as this is when I last successfully posted an image to the site that appeared within the text and is still visible.

(Question: When did you last upgrade the site phpBB software?)

For your information the attached image is 408*306 pix and is 20.5KB .jpeg compressed.
The exact same image is visible in the text in: Suggestions and Feedback Anachronistic site rules.
It is not even the biggest image I have posted that is visible in the text.

I would suggest it would be better to define a limit on the attachment file size, than it is to limit the size by pixel area. The latter is clearly not working, as the apparent size of the image in the text seems to have little to do with its reported pixel area, with large pictures sometimes posting as relative small size images, and the reverse also being true. I assume that it is the former you wish to control, as this indicates the disk space occupied on the Maplin server.

small GPS Dongle.jpg
(20.51 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

It is worth note, that judging from the comments at the phpBB web site, the issue of attachments and image files is a hot topic, with lots of fault reports.
Last edited by NigelJ on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NigelJ
Graduate

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:13 pm

Looks to be something with the 300x300 pixel rule.

I can vouch for this not being changed, it's very rare the admin panel is touched, as the forum is running absolutely fine at the moment.

Certainly something has changed, but it's going to take some investigation work as to what, I'm sure Dave and maplin_admin will be able to look into this, but it may take some time.

I'm afraid for now, it's a case of watch this space.

Dan
Dan
Maplin Employee

Postby NigelJ » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:36 am

I have rescaled the OSD image to make it 265*219 pix and only 15KB
OSD prototype vsmall.jpg
OSD scaled to 265*219 pix
OSD prototype vsmall.jpg (14.95 KiB) Viewed 5963 times

It seems that the file filtering has switched from file size to pixel area. While I accept that this filter option was defined when the site was initially set-up. The setting has only become active in the last few days, maybe as the result of an automatic reboot or as a result of the change to BST.

I still do not understand why the display image size seem to be unrelated to pixel area. Maybe the software is already applying a scaling function. I would not describe the above image as thumbnail size. By definition a thumbnail size image is one that can be covered by a thumbnail. As seen on my screen, the above image is approximately one quarter to one third the width of the text page.

It is also a mystery as to why some older images, that break the 300*300 pix rule, are still visible, while others are not. At first I assumed that the rule was only applied when the image was submitted, but this cannot be the case as it appears to be applied to older images. I speculate that it may relate to which of the old servers the image was up-loaded. Maybe there was an inconsistency in the file parameters appended by each server.

Again I suggest that images should be filtered on the basis of file size rather than pixel area, as the former is far easier for the user to adjust and it is directly related the storage space taken on the Maplin server, which I presume is the important parameter the site admin wish to control.
(For anyone interested in up loading pictures, I have used MS paint to scale the images.)

I request that if possible the Server software should be set to auto scale the image size to occupy a fixed pixel area in the text, sufficient to allow the image content to be viewed with reasonable clarity.
Last edited by NigelJ on Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NigelJ
Graduate

Postby Ian » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:10 pm

It's a light bulb Dan. It does look kinda funky though.
Ian
Apprentice

Postby NigelJ » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:58 pm

I hope that Maplin forum admin will report back on the image loading problem, if only to assuage my curiosity about why the Maplin forum servers suddenly started to process the image size limit instructions, which it had consistently ignored for the past twelve months.
NigelJ
Graduate

Return to Suggestions and Feedback